With Memorial Day quickly approaching, we like to think that honoring and remembering is on everyone’s mind, when in truth, it’s usually more about grilling with friends and family, and of course, shopping for those Memorial Day deals. Memorial Day weekend may be one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year, but there is some do’s and don’t’s that go along with what to buy, according to Offers.com‘s savings specialists.
- Last Memorial Day, there were discounts of up to 60 percent off of brands like Sealy, Serta, and Tempur-pedic. Sears, Macy’s, and Walmart had some of the best mattress deals.
- Memorial day, for one reason or another, is known for having great refrigerator deals. Home Depot, Sears, and Lowes have discounts of up to 40 percent off on brands like Kenmore, Frigidaire, and Samsung.
- Home goods:
- Every year, major retailers run site-wide sales for home goods. There’s been predictions of up to 50 percent off on small appliances, kitchenware, bed and bath products, and more for this year’s holiday.
- Summer clothing:
- Some deals on summer clothing during Memorial Day weekend may seem too good to pass up, but prices on summer stiles decrease most significantly in August and September.
- TVs & electronics:
- The best savings on TVs and technology don’t form until late fall, more specifically, during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Grills, patio furniture, and outdoor items:
- Memorial Day sales offer 20 percent to 50 percent off outdoor items, but end of summer sales in August and September give discounts of up to 90 percent.
- Pool installation and gear:
- The beginning of summer, when temperatures start to rise, is the time that demand for pools is the highest, you’re likely to get the best deals for pool installation in the winter.
Whether you listen to the advice or not is up to you, just remember Memorial Day weekend isn’t all about shopping. Our team has quite of, well, an array of things we plan on doing to celebrate the weekend holiday.
Any special plans for the weekend?
Cathy: “We’re not traveling too far from home (we don’t want to be too far from our hospital and doctor for baby #2), but as a part of our daughter Kenley’s 2nd birthday present we’re taking a train ride. It’s called ‘Day Out with Thomas’ on the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad. It involves activities centered around Thomas the Train show on PBS as well as a 30min trip. She’s not huge on the character, but is OBSESSED with trains.”
Shawn: “Mulch, mulch and more mulch.”
Tara: “I’m planning on getting together with my husband, pup and family to do a beachside cookout at Edgewater Beach in Cleveland! If the weather holds out we’re going to do a picnic style cookout and enjoy one of the best panoramic views of Cleveland.”
Kim: “I will be watering flowers all weekend at the Lowe’s, come visit me and I’ll help everyone find the flowers for the parties!”
Dawn: “If it doesn’t rain, we’ll be having a garage sale at my parent’s house. We’ll most likely be pulling the thousand weeds in the yard. Hopefully some BBQ and beers with family too! If it rains, then scratch all that. We’ll just be drinking beer.”
Donny: “I am going to a wedding this weekend at Happy Days Lodge in Cuyahoga Valley National Park on Saturday. I also plan on doing some swimming, kayaking and hitting up my home town’s Memorial Day Parade. An all American weekend!”
Ian: “Taking this family… around in this vehicle… to wherever kids eat free!”
Eric: “Busting out the smoker. The pork butt (shoulder) will go on at 2:00 AM and will be fall off the bone smokey pork goodness 12 hours later. Serve with Carolina style BBQ sauce and ice cold beer. AMERICA!!!”
So whether you’re spending the weekend drinking beer and doing yard-work or driving your family around in your new bus, we hope your Memorial Day weekend is one for the books.
Happy Memorial Day from us at Array!